Friday, June 14, 2013

End of April to May


 As I promised I have gotten back on track with the blogging again! When I left ye last I was still cleaning the barn and getting it ready to house all the horses and humans after the winter. New horses and clients arrived and with that comes figuring out the new horses. I cannot thank Pam enough for firstly, letting me ride these horses everyday but secondly she has thought me how to assess a horse from a riding point of view - more bend, less bend? More leg, less leg? Hot and spicy, or dull and needing some jazzing up so you aren't doing all the work all the time? I would  MAYBE have eventually figured it out by myself before I arrived here but Pam has trained me now to be as adaptable as possible that I have the confidence to assess or diagnose a horse myself - which is an AMAZING feeling when you can approach your trainer and meet her head on with what needs to be fixed. As I said in my last post the turnover of how much I learn on a DAILY basis is nothing short of unbelievable. Although I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to be back at home - this is where I am supposed to be for the foreseeable future. I know that all I have and will learn is going to benefit not only me but hopefully others when I return home! 


Misha acting as a hot water bottle
In my last post, I shared a picture of the newest horse here at Foster Meadows - Norman. (Their have been a few name changes!) He arrived in Florida and made the trip back North with us. All I can say is I am in LOVE!! Which is weird for me, because anyone that knows me understands that I never get too attached tot the horses, obviously I love them all and if I had an unlimited bank balance they'd all be mine, but part of my job I think is to be content in that you have done the best you can for the horse so that the horse can give the best it can to its owner or regular rider. With that said I am so happy I get to ride this guy - he is here to be trained and eventually sold, and while he is here he is teaching me a bucket load, and great for my hand as he is ridden in the double bridle at certain points in the week. Riding in the snaffle and even when I have to juggle draw reins is becoming a piece of cake but I am still a little anxious when it comes to the double bridle - mainly because I can't really feel anything and all of a sudden the curb rein is nearly dangling on the floor! So getting to ride in it a few times a week is great for me!. Norman isn't always the easiest, and has an opinion about some things, however that is just where he is at in his training. He is also blessed with the classic male attitude that if its too hard I ain't doing it at all!! :)


The office....


Bonding! 


Levi out and about


Athletes diet....blueberry pie


Misha the gurad cat


Can't get up..its Monday




Norman and myself in the field


The most comical 5 year old I know..Ziggy


Spring is here!


A rare relaxing evening


Peanut faceplanting the grass


Alde having a rest




Norman on strike









 That is it for another week! I will put up a post of 'My fortnight in pictures' and then a full June post. I should have alot more to tell since the barn is full, staff is now full and the days are flying by.
 I cannot believe it is June already and another year as come that I am missing my beloved Galway County Show and Corrandulla Show back at home - to all that are going...BEST OF LUCK!!



Until next time..... PEACE, LOVE AND HOOFOIL



No comments:

Post a Comment